Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Welcome Home Curtis, welcome home

I wrote a blog about our family getting "Curtis" the dog from my mom. It's been almost 3 months since he came to live with us.
Last week my sister and I met at the half way point and I picked up my mom so she could come and stay with us for a week.
I think that one of the main reasons she really came to visit was to see if Curtis was happy here. I imagined that the grandkids was another major reason. :)
I was a little nervous about him seeing her for the first time...was he going to like her better than he did me? Was he going to decide to be her buddy & follow her around this week?
My fears were put to rest when he saw her for the first time.
All through the week he remained true to me. This was important to me because my mom was convinced that Curtis' misbehaving was due to the fact that he missed HER and wanted to go home.
Now fast forward to the end of the week when it's time to take her back to the half way point. (and remember my previous blog on just how many times she has given him away and taken him back)
As I'm loading up, Curtis comes out the front door and typical for him he jumps in the car. I tell him that he is not going this time. I can't possibly drive 4 hours with him today. You see, Curtis chases cars, trucks, cows, motorcycles, 18 wheelers...INSIDE the car! It's the most insane thing you have ever saw.
I ask my mom to help me get him out of the car and take him back inside. She takes him inside and I'm finished loading the car waiting. She gets in the car and I look over at her as I put the car in reverse...and it happens. She is crying.
I can't bare it. I put the car in park and announce that I'm just going to go back inside and get him.
She had been asking me all week, "you want me to take Curtis back home with me?". She even asked the kids before we left that morning. Each time we told her no, that he was happy here and that we wanted him to stay.
But I think she really wanted him back. She missed his company.
So, now I'm in the house packing his stuff up to go back. I do it quietly so the kids don't know whats happening.
Now, I'm crying. But I couldn't let her know.
We met both my sisters for breakfast at the half way point. Boy were they surprised. Curtis has yet again been moved like a piece of furniture.
Saying goodbye was very emotional for me. I was offically attached to "Stacy's dog".
After returning home the kids took the news hard. Graham was especially brokenhearted.
The next day we had church service. Afterwards we had a huge pool party and shrimp boil. The day finally ended with us returning home at 8 p.m.
As we all piled out of the car moving slowly from the events of the day, Graham says, "I hear barking". I figured Tess was mad with us after being gone all day. Then Mac says, "but that sounds like a Curtis bark!".
By this time we are all running up the porch rushing to get Stacy to open the door. We bust in and there he is! He has returned!!! "But how?", asks Mac.

My sister & mom had driven the whole way on Sunday to return him. She said that he was "sad, & dragging around", even said he wouldn't sleep with her.

It's offical. Curtis has found his home forever!! Never to be moved again!!

So in the words of Ty Pennington from Extreme Home Makeover, "Welcome Home Curtis, Welcome Home!".

1 comment:

chandelier said...

You have such a great blog.