Thursday, April 30, 2009

Granny's - everyones got one

But I think mine is hilarious!
I been thinking about her so much lately. Remembering all the times we (my siblings) spent at her house...
* making world famous mud pies dried only by the solar heat.
* playing in the "play house". Which was basically a pit in the back yard that we would swing down into.
* sewing little patches together with her. That's my only sewing experience.
* her chasing us for spankings & the older kids climbed trees and the younger hid.
* rolling her own cigarettes. Prince Albert in a can, baby!!
* sleeping with her & having to be rubbed down in Vicks Menthol Salve, regardless if you were sick or not. Nose, throat, chest & back.
* ironing leaves between sheets of wax paper. I'm gonna do this with my kids for old times sake.
* the black rotary phone. I used to sneak in her bedroom to play with it.
* crackers & mustard. Still a great snack today.

Granny was one that whenever you visited her she would talk, talk, & talk. Then when it was time to go, she walked you to your car and talked some more. But now that she's older she doesn't walk you out anymore, but boy can she still talk. The difference now when you call her is she talks then announces, "well, I've said all I know to say, Good-bye". And that's that. So funny.
And though she might be getting up there in the years, don't let that fool you. She can spout out dates of years past like it was yesterday. I've always wondered how she does that. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, much less the events of 1967.

Just to give you a picture of what my Granny is like... She reminds me SO SO much of The Fruitcake Lady. If you've never heard any of her stuff just google it. You'll be in for a treat.

Granny don't beat around the bush and she don't pull no punches, she just tells it like it is. I love her.
I always enjoy our talks and think that one day, I'm gonna be just like her.

No comments: